FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a job with an airline for travel perks?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:57 pm
seadog83

Getting a job with an airline for travel perks?

So, I'm at a bit of a unique stage in my life, early 30s, used to do oil and gas engineering. Hated the job, long hours, ie had some 70+ hour "days", job had to be prioritized above family/kids/gf etc, but paid amazing. I got laid off about 18 months ago, and I've spent the majority of that time travelling. I'm currently back in YHZ staying with parents.

Combined with frugal living, a few tips from www.mrmoneymustache.com/ and lots of travel deals abetted through here, I'm fairly secure financially.

That said, what do I do now? I'd like to at least have a home base for some things, and have a bit of a community to be involved in, but also really enjoy travelling greatly.

My friend suggested being a baggage handler with Air Canada. Primary for the free flights.

Does any one know how this works? is it unlimited flights? Coupons? An ad on AC said "up to 32 hours a week of work" what sort of flexibility is there, I would likely trying to be minimizing it. Presumably (at least a united FA said this) there's a whole online system to it, taking into account union seniority and all that, so potentially you can get bumped etc.

Has anyone done something like this, looked into it more? Or perhaps people currently on the inside can give a bit more info?