FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Indonesia First Class: Was it as “Good” as Five Stars? Almost… LHR-CGK-SIN
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:49 pm
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carfield
he insisted on taking me to the transit hotel

In conclusion, Garuda Indonesia First Class is a great premium product, especially in the aspects of ground service and inflight service.
great to hear!

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
An interesting cultural difference. The American feels uncomfortable being helped to do something, they can easily do themselves. They feel that it is somehow disrespectful to the agent.

The European feels that by carrying the bag himself that he is disrespectful to the agent, implying that the agent is incapable of doing his/her job or that his/her job is unnecessary.

Not saying either is right or wrong, it is just a difference of perspective.
re https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela >
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../insights.html
He always made his own bed, no matter where we traveled. I remember we were in Shanghai, in a very fancy hotel, and the Chinese hospitality requires that the person who cleans your room and provides you with your food, does exactly that. If you do it for yourself, it could even be regarded as an insult. So in Shanghai I tried to say to him, 'Please don't make your own bed, because there's this custom here.' And he said, 'Call them, bring them to me.' So I did. I asked the hotel manager to bring the ladies who would be cleaning the room, so that he could explain why he himself has to make his own bed, and that they not feel insulted. He didn't ever want to hurt people's feelings. He never really cared about what great big people think of him, but he did care about what small people thought of him. That used to amaze me. He didn't mind if he insulted a very important person, or said something to them that was unkind, because he said they could fend and fight for themselves. But he would never insult someone who did not have power."