FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me buy a security neck wallet
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:09 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I have been looking for a good neck wallet as well, also started looking at this after a pickpocketing experience.

My main complaints so far have been
  • I find that most of the neck wallets I've seen are way too complicated with multiple pockets and thus they are very thick even without the passport etc in it.
  • I found a thinner one but it is not waterproof on the back so sweat gets thru. Thanks for the plastic bag idea, I'll try that.
  • The neck strap is too thin and uncomfortable. I'm thinking of buying some nice feeling wider strip from the cloth shop and sewing that in place myself. The separate wider parts some wallets have do not seem to stay in place, so that's not a good idea either.
  • The last one I bought was just a little too small to fit a passport easily thru the zipper opening, needed to fold the passport a little. Huh?

I think these are mostly optimized to be sold in the shop, and not designed for real use.

The specs of a perfect one (for me) would be something like:
  • Very thin
  • Lightweight
  • Minimal design with maybe just 2 separate areas/pockets or something simple
  • Waterproof against sweat (and maybe rain)
  • Some good feeling cloth against skin
  • Wide soft comfy neck strap
  • Passport size
  • Neutral skin color(s) to hide it well

If you have any good suggestions, please post the link here...

I'm hoping there is someone who has made a good one, somewhere? If not, this would be a fabulous kickstarter project...

Bonus story: I have done a few day trips flying 3+ hours away with no luggage or jacket or anything except a neck wallet and few things in pockets. It is really nice to travel "far away" with nothing to carry, although it feels a bit funny at the airport security...