FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience
Old Apr 3, 2004, 3:41 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Subscription, Reputation, and Date and Time Functions

Thank you, Ocn Vw 1K, for the kind comments pertaining to this thread.

Here is what I did to customize MyFlyerTalk for myself:
  1. First, I went into the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left.
  2. I scrolled down to the Default Thread Subscription Mode area and chose No Email Notification under the pop-up menu. This option disables e-mail notification while still allowing me to subscribe to any FlyerTalk threads to which I post. Other options which you can choose include Do Not Subscribe (which totally disables the subscription function), Instant Email Notification, Daily Email Notification and Weekly Email Notification, all of which are self-explanatory.
  3. Even though this is a overall default setting, I can still override this setting as per individual post (in the Thread Subscription area below the first Submit Reply button if posting a reply or below the first Save Changes button if editing a post).
  4. I can also cancel the subscription to any thread at any time in the MyFlyerTalk page without changing the overall default.
The threads to which you subscribe will then appear in the New Subscribed Threads area at the top of the MyFlyerTalk page. The cool part is that the threads will only appear there if there is a new post to that thread by you or anybody else.

Then, I went directly to each FlyerTalk forum that I visit on a regular basis:
  1. In each thread, I click on Forum Tools at the top-right of that forum’s page. A menu with four options will appear.
  2. I choose Subscribe To This Forum.
  3. A prompt will then appear to receive No Email Notifications (which I chose), with an Add Subscription button below it.
  4. Once this is completed, the forum will appear in the Subscribed Forums area (which is directly below the New Subscribed Threads area) on the MyFlyerTalk page.
All subscribed forums will appear there as you add more to the list.

Below the Subscribed Forums area is the Latest Reputation Received area which lists the thread from which the reputation was added, along with the date, time and comment by the anonymous FlyerTalk member (if there is a comment at all). To disable this feature:
  1. Simply go to the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left.
  2. Deselect the check box in the Show My Reputation Level area.

I love the fact that I can set FlyerTalk to my time zone instead of always calculating when a post was posted on FlyerTalk. To customize this:
  1. Simply go to the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left and scroll down to the Date & Time Options area.
  2. Next to Time Zone, click on the pop-up menu and select the time zone of your choice.
  3. Additionally, there is a DST correction option to adjust for Daylight Saving Time. I have it set to automatic, but it can also be set to Always On or Always Off. This feature will be tested tomorrow in the United States.

I intend to go back and edit this post to format it for better clarity, but I wanted to impart this information to you as soon as possible, Ocn Vw 1K. I hope the information I have provided here is useful.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 3, 2004 at 10:26 pm