FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - issues with Hyatt gift card
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:16 am
cdancer20

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'd say the third-party once are significantly more risky - especially now.

If some joker buys a Hyatt GC at OfficeDepot and then sells it to CardCash or one of the many retailers, but holds onto the number, then there's someone else who has that specific info.

Sure, this might seem like a consistent risk with any gift card, but add in that Hyatt is now known for making these bad GC holders whole. So there's potentially less risk to the original buyer and to CardCash since Hyatt may just pick up the cost. If Hyatt eats it, there's no pushback to the reseller and the original buyer.

Scammers recognize this and buy more Hyatt GCs to offload.
LOL I said that the 3rd party stores have higher risk but not more than any other card which has nothing to do with Hyatt itself. Hyatt GCs as a whole are at risk even when the 3rd party seller is legitimate and honest. And actually Cardcash does pick up the risk. Within their terms, they have to refund the buyer for the compromised GC. This is why I think we've seen such a huge decrease in cards on 3rd party sites, i.e. non-existant now. They no longer want to pay out.