FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Largest odometer gap between contract and reality?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:25 am
IAHtraveler
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Most likely someone looked a trip odometer reading rather than the main odometer reading by mistake. When the trip odometer has been reset lately, and reads 205, no one's going to make that mistake, but when the trip odometer hasn't been used by a few renters in a row, it can get high enough to look like it could be the main odometer reading, and on some cars it's not obvious enough to someone in a hurry which odometer value you're looking at at the moment.
Fully agree... But the back-end software should prevent this. It should see the mileage is less than the last reading and spit out an error to double-check the number. If the odometer reading is less than the last few readings, or under the outgoing by 2000+, it should require secondary confirmation.

Sure, most rentals are unlimited mileage and it doesn't really matter. But: on the off-chance I get a 1-way that's way off, I'd be very upset if I had to fight due to odometer inconsistencies. Or with Hertz: They're known to cut-off rental privileges for people with multiple "high-mileage/day" rentals.