FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crew unable to offer bassinet in NF on a 747?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:59 am
747_not_777

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by brightstar100
Most definitely exists and we used it many times.

Although, if a seat is available, using the cot on the bed, with the seat belt over it works well. In the event of seat belt signs coming on, you must still hold your child, however.
We weren't offered the cot to even put on the bed. Plus they were short of F bedding for the flight, so put down a couple of Club World blankets folded over, and we lay her on that.

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I cannot believe that the crew hadn't been trained to set up the bassinet, as said poor show especially from the CSM.
Glad you agree. I don't think I've ever written to BA to complain before, but I have on this occasion. As it was far from being a premium experience.

It had all been going so well - we gave my daughter her evening meal in the lounge, boarded early and asked the crew to heat her milk for her as we had a 7.40pm departure and she has her final feed of the day between 7 and 8pm. So we were looking good in terms of routine and getting her to sleep. She wolfed her milk down, and then fell asleep on my wife's lap for take-off...

But instead of the bassinet arriving post take-off, we had this whole debacle about whether it was offered in F or not. Faced with a choice of keeping her on my wife's lap vs the lie-flat seat, we opted to keep her asleep on my wife's lap. Which she did for 90 mins, but when she woke (clearly not the most comfortable position for either of them for an all-nighter), we tried her on the life-flat seat at 5K. She hated it and screamed the cabin down so much that my wife and I picked her up and stood in the galley for an hour calming her down. A nice passenger from WTP, also with kids, even came up and offered Tylenol (?) to help calm her, but we'd already been 'bad parents' and given her a Calpol minutes earlier whilst standing in the galley... to try and help her settle.

Finally, about four hours into the flight we got her to sleep at 5K and then my wife stayed up and played the watching game to check she didn't roll-off the seat, and to handle the seat-belt sign 'pick-ups'...

I understand totally that bassinets are subject to availability, and if everyone boarded with a baby not everyone could have one. But we had the only baby in F, we'd booked the right seat, and we even corrected the crew and showed them where it was to be fitted. And they still couldn't manage it!

As an aside, would love to see a copy of the CSM's 'manual' for a 744. Anyone got a copy!?