FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:15 pm
Tychian

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Nice. I'm honestly more concerned about being harassed in USA. Exiting SFO, think there's a decent chance that they'll have a clue.
I've done TWOV a few times from SFO, including earlier this year. I would expect it to be fine, especially as they add more flights to mainland China.

For me, China Air (Taiwanese) seemed to have the most challenges, it took them about 30 minutes to sort it out, with quite a bit of back-and-forth discussion among the agents, 2 visits to the backroom office area, and so on, but other than the lengthy time to sort out, document, whatever, there was no feel they thought I couldn't travel. More that they didn't deal with it a lot and weren't quite sure what to do.

The other times, the check-in / agent doc / whatever-they-do was smooth and quick; one of those times the carrier was China Eastern, the other was Delta. Much quicker.

I had a repeat of the China Air experience originating in HKG of all places, and with China Southern. It was another apparent case of the agent being unsure of all the mechanics, but no sense that they couldn't sort it out, as indeed they did.