FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Delayed flight - Delta Air Lines Definitive Thread
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:17 pm
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My father was on DL0212 on Aug 1: NCE-JFK. It was delayed a little over 4 hours and caused him to miss his connection on to ATL, which he flew the next day. He was given a hotel voucher and taxi fare by DL for his overnight.

There had been some bad weather at JFK, I think, the day before on Jul 31, and DL canceled both NCE-JFK 212 and JFK-NCE 412 (so I presume that plane was still in NCE). Weirdly a friend of mine was supposed to have been on the cancelled 412. We were told at NCE on Aug 1 that the plane was waiting on the crew to rest and departure delayed 4 hours.

Wondering if he has a legitimate EU261/2004 claim. He does in terms of hours delayed on an EU departing flight and missed domestic US connection. But I'm not sure about the "cause" and if it is "extraordinary" and beyond DL control. While there may have been bad weather in JFK the day before, there didn't seem to be that problem on Aug 1 (even anticipating the arrival at JFK).

I've requested a delay verification via the DL website, but at the rate they are going (with the 8/8 debacle) I'm not optimistic I'll get it any time soon. And anyway, I imagine they will deny the claim under the guise of weather. I really don't know how to identify actual cause. Since they gave out hotel vouchers, I'm thinking it wasn't weather since they wouldn't have to do that. He has no status FYI. Thoughts?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 16, 2016 at 7:32 pm