FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:41 am
bridge29

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Any chance AA adds more domestic routes to DFW, that might already have CLT or PHX service?

Some guesses, maybe
MDT-DFW. It is said that a lot of MDT traffic bleeds to BWI, and it's possible that WN is capturing some of that via BWI-DAL. An AA nonstop out of MDT might keep Central PA passengers to use MDT when traveling to Dallas, than flock down to BWI and have a choice to go with WN. And vice-versa, for those from Dallas heading to Central PA (Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York)

CAK-DFW. Granted CAK is an alternate airport of CLE, but AA seems to dominate CLE-DFW. At a time of domination of CLE-DFW, it could hold it's strength with even with a 1x daily of CAK-DFW possibly. It probably wouldn't want NK adding CAK-DFW before it held it on it's own.

OAK-DFW. Another route that NK dropped like CLE-DFW. Now this is interesting, that if NK is out of the picture, it could be good that AA won't have to worry about a downward fare pressure from NK. However, if NK couldn't make it work with O&D passengers, maybe AA would have a problem that OAK is too much a regional airport for most passengers to consider flying far. WN might be an exception, that it can make some non-regional routes work. WN does fly DAL-OAK and AA's main competition would be WN AA could be able to capture some of that East Bay to Dallas traffic that WN might be getting.

With Dallas being a growing region, there is likely growing O&D from these secondary markets or sub-markets of large markets.

Which other markets might AA add to DFW, that might be already serviced by CLT on the East, or PHX on the West?
I think MDT-DFW is way overdue. I could see them eliminating a frequency from MDT-CLT and moving it to MDT-DFW, something like 1x daily E175 or A319. But LAA even has trouble running capacity to ORD from MDT. It's been stable at 3x daily CR7s this summer, but drops capacity this winter again. So much MDT traffic bleeds to BWI and even PHL.

I think ORD-COS and PHX-COS are no-brainers too.