FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:15 am
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why ain't you just happy that such fares are available? I really appreciate that I can book without all these extras I do not need. Most of my travel for business is a day or a day and a night. I don't need any luggage and I always found it annoying that I had to pay for luggage transportation (included in the fare) I never required.
It depends on how you look at it:

1) "Light fares" aren't necessarily cheap. You can still spend 150-200Euros on an intra-European LH Group r/t ticket and be treated as if you had booked a ticket with a bottom of the barrel LCC. (It's only a few years ago that I purchased intra-European LH tickets for 89 tickets r/t which included 500 miles each way and all *G benefits incl. increased baggage allowance - not to mention Eurowings/Germanwings hadn't taken over many routes back then).

2) The point of unbundling services is to maximize profits. It's not about "fairly distributing costs" between pax who use a particular service (such as checking baggage) and those who don't.

3) The way Light fares were introduced suggests that LH doesn't give a crap about loyalty. You can spend a six-figure amount per year to earn status and still be told that you still have to pay a fee for a piece of baggage since you purchased a semi-cheap ticket for your flight. Or to put it differently: According to LH Group, 0 + 1 equals 0, as in zero benefits / baggage allowance.