FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this a new announcement onboard?
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:37 am
markzz2

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by CD747
I think the problem with this policy is that if it started getting enforced with any vigour at BA (and so far it doesn't seem to be), people will just resort to bringing external battery power blocks to charge their devices from overnight instead.

I'd be more worried about that personally, given where those devices come from (I've had at least 3 of them as freebies lately, each more dodgy than the last), and it's something the crew can't do much about until it's too late if the device is squirrels away in a seat back pocket or the CW drawer. I think the in seat power (which is hopefully tested regularly!) is the lesser of two evils there.
The new announcements and policies being enforced are a direct result of being an increasing amount of PED incidents.

It is the job of crew to enforce the rules, and to help ensure the safety of everyone on the aircraft but actually everyone on board needs to take responsibility for their own equipment.

I have had incidents recently where I have had to argue with passengers for using the hoover sockets (which are more likely to truly mess up your PED than anything else, so just don't use them!), and for sleeping with a Laptop plugged in to the normal UK socket under the WT seat on an A380, the laptop was hidden under a pillow on an empty middle seat despite me already asking during the meal service for him to make sure he unplugged before he slept. I woke him up and he was very dramatic and upset.

The announcement about dropping your phone down into the seat mechanisms is also due to so many incidents, please be careful.

Safety is the responsibility of everyone on the aircraft not just the crew, so your help and co-operation is much appreciated.