FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let's be honest - most craft beer is crap
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:32 pm
jackthewelshman

Programs: BA: Silver, Etihad: Silver
Decent post! We will reach peak hops soon! The market obsession with "craft", "small batch" and hops has got very far out of hand, and there will reach a time where there is a market correction.

It is excellent that there is so much interest in the beer industry and producing an array of different beers, however at the moment more hops is almost synonymous with better in many circles, including people who I know.

I happen to be one of the hop lovers, one of my favourite styles is an American style IPA out of a keg, but I can appreciate the vast array of other style out there, and do enjoy other beers that aren't hopped to hell, like a decent wheatbeer like Weienstephaner.

I like the creativity of the brands and the brews out there, you know funny or interesting names, good logos or brewers ethos, however there is also a snobbery problem among some of the drinkers. Some people just want to have a beer, a standard cold fizzy lager, or a standard smooth bitter which was just as good 10 years ago as it is today. However some of the craft heads can't help but ridicule these choices!

Actually one issue I have when there is so much choice is remembering which ones I like! So now I have the Untappd app so I can keep track!

EDIT: Oh yeah and now "craft" is as mainstream as it is, with the likes of AB InBev purchasing Camden Town Brewery (craft beer brewery), people will get bored with the novelty and move onto being interested in something else. Hey maybe I should start bottling some craft wine with some rare grapes grown at an irrelevant high altitude. BRB I'm going to get some investors.

Last edited by jackthewelshman; Aug 14, 2016 at 9:38 pm