FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:11 am
almostfrench0612

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
AA EXP considering switch to UA...

Was wondering if someone can help me decide if I should make the switch for next year. I will requalify as EXP with travel already booked by end of year. I am SFO based and travel on paid J to Europe about 3-4 times per year and to NY about 3 times also. the rest of my travel is short-haul within California, or to Denver etc and those flights are in discount economy. With the changes to AA I actually on balance probably benefit a bit but wondering if it is not worth switching to UA because of the better nonstop flight options for me from SFO hub. I completed a status match to 1K 2 years ago and decided it was not right for me then but obviously there have been a lot of changes at AA. But it means I won't be able to match again (at least I don't think?) so it would be starting from scratch.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: upgrades, priority, baggage allowance. Access to good award redemption.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: about 100k, about 80% in paid J

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: paid J for distances over 4 hours, discount economy for anything less.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes mostly. Mostly work and only on vacation for pleasure a few times a year.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: SFO-Europe (London and Germany mostly), SFO-JFK/EWR and then short-haul every 2 weeks or so.

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: SFO

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: EXP on AA.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: right now AA and BA, but I like LH. Not hugely keen on UA product but i have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Bottom line - I know that benefits are pretty similar / sort of a wash for me, but the huge benefit to switching to UA would be access to more nonstop flights (SFO-Hawaii for example, or Puerto Vallarta) when traveling on vacation or to Germany. My question though is whether the redemption is as good vs AA. I find it fairly easy to find award travel to Europe on AA at the saver award level but when I tried to book a ticket to Paris on UA, only one nonstop flight was available during the month of October for example. Is that typical for UA and will I be disappointed with the redemption options if I switch? that is my main concern.