FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Pricing
Thread: Dynamic Pricing
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:24 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Dynamic Pricing

Is it just me, or is AA.com's dynamic pricing becoming increasingly ridiculous? I recently ran a search for a flight home from Toronto on 11 Sept. On Friday, the fare was ~US$107,- (matching AC), but I failed to hold it. Earlier today, I go to search for the same fare on Google Flights, and see that the price had jumped to ~US$135,- in the morning and ~US$152,- by noon. Google Flights pulls the information from americanairlines.ca since the flight originated in Canada. I figured that they were removing fare codes, and adjusting for the strengthening CAD. However, I decided to search on Kayak to see if they were getting the same thing. Nope. The same fare was US$143,- when I clicked through the link on Kayak, and US$180,- when I tried to book it directly on AA.com. I put the Kayak price on hold and went about my day. Just now, I went back to check pricing, americanairlines.ca via Google Flights was showing ~CA$173 (~US$135,49), Kayak was showing US$152,- and AA.com was showing US$123,99. This has got to be the least transparent AA has been in the 15 years I've been flying them.

P.S. Yes, I held the $123,99 fare to see what tomorrow brings.