FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:57 pm
worldtravel123

Plat stay in June

After staying 3 nights at the Suiran, we transferred here for 5 nights so that we could sightsee Kyoto (we used Suiran to relax and see Arashiyama). By this point I had been in Japan for 2.5 weeks and had been surrounded by 99% Japanese people. Coming to the Westin I experienced reverse culture shock. Many westerners. It is a conference venue - it is huge, and there were ongoing conferences while we were there. So lots of Westerners. It was very different from anything I had experienced so far on the trip. Not bad, but definitely not a continuation of the cultural immersion so to speak.

The hotel itself is clean. I couldn't decide if it felt outdated or if I just didn't love the 'older' design choices. Our room just felt like it needed a renovation (not dirty or overly worn just felt stuck in the past). I assume we did not get a renovated room.

Breakfast could be in a few venues - we chose the buffet w/ western options. The lounge had minimal choices. the lounge also had afternoon snacks and drinks.

It is not a bad hotel but was my least favorite of this trip.