FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norway in a Nutshell - Questions
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:21 pm
CaptainMiles

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by craz
2- when I tried using a US Visa and MC from the likes of Chase,Citi, Barclays I was shut down. And NSB has a note by the MC choice saying 3D Secure. I further called both the banks and Visa and MC and was told all 3 banks as of Fri were not participating in 3D Secure = cant use any CC from those banks for a NSB or Boat tkt. Could be US bank has 3D Secure or that you purchased your tkt before they changed to demanding the CC be 3D Secure
They had 3D Secure in place when I purchased, late June 2016. And I stand corrected, it was not a US Bank card, I used a Chase VISA.

3D Secure is what is branded in the US as "Verified by Visa" or "MasterCard SecureCode" [Wikipedia ref or NSB ref]. If you ask your US-based bank if they participate in 3D Secure they will have no idea. Ask about "verified by Visa" and they will. What helps you get through these systems is to log in to your US online account in advance. Do this:
1. Log in to your Chase (or whatever bank) account
2. Open another window or tab in the same browser (do not use private browsing, and do not close your other window)
3. In the new window, go to nsb.no and purchase the ticket. Verified by Visa / MasterCard SecureCode will kick in and will likely resolve favorably. If it prompts you for additional info, just follow along.