FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:29 pm
docjason

Programs: UA Plat / *G
How do I ensure my RPU works?

Hello,

I am new to fliertalk and I have been searching the forums for the past few days and I am curious to learn anything I can to ensure my RPU gets me the upgrade.

I am a platinum member and I usually travel back and fourth to asia. I have made 7 trips so far and I have not yet had a single upgrade to first class on any domestic flight I have taken. I have tried to apply an RPU and out of 30 flights, I ended up finally getting one of my 2 domestic legs upgraded so I feel it was really a waste of an upgrade. I have on left and I feel the RPU is worthless because when I try to use it, I end up not upgraded anyways.

What tips should you recommend?

I have 2 flights tomorrow and I did not apply my RPU because the flights are fully booked. They have been showing fully booked in First class for a week now from TPA to EWR at 550am.

Also, does United have a way for my to apply an RPU and then add cash so I can upgrade internationally? Perhaps if cash is involved, an upgrade will happen and I would finally get to experience an upgrade.