FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alabama Dining
Thread: Alabama Dining
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:47 pm
DAL

couple of notes: Dreamland Florence is closed as is very very very unfortunately is Sister Gooch in Madison.

Greenbrier; well, haven't been in about 10 - 12 years, so couldn't tell ya; still seem to be lots of cars there. That's the new location on I-565. Old location is better

I'll start a list to be added to later for places in Alabama....

refer to my bbq posts on that thread

Tuscaloosa:

Bob Baumhauer's for wings (in Huntsville, B'ham and Mobile)

known locally as 'The City', The City Cafe in downtown Northport. The one and only place I stop if I'm in town at lunchtime. Don't be discouraged by the line out the door or crammed inside! You order from the list, they bring it to you in usually a coulple of minutes. If you eat all your meat and three veggies for under $4, you can have another meat and 3 veggies for used to be like $1.50. And I have eaten with someone who couldn't quite finish the 3rd plate!

Depalma's, downtown on Univ. DH is still in search for compairable Italian food, mainly calzones, in Huntsville area with casual atmosphere. Cafe' Venice across the street is good Italian as well.

Cypress Inn, on the River. Linen napkin place. Nice variety for the town, cosistantly the best dish is their catfish, which can also be found at their 'sister' restaurants 15th St Diner (near campus), Northport Diner in Northport and Taylorville Diner off of I-20/59) Nice family diners.

Waysider for breakfast, used to serve breakfast late

Birmingham:

Bright Star, downtown Bessemer, just a couple of minutes off I-59/20. Greek family owned, love the fish and salads

Niki's West Steak & Seafood Restaurant, voted best "Meat N Three". Worth the short drive off of I-65 just north of malfunction-junction

Athens: Dub's burgers downtown on the square

Mobile: The Original Oyster House is good family seafood

Huntsville:

Chef's Table, sit at the bar and watch them cook, good food

Ol' Heidelberg is good Bavarian food

Rosie's for Mexican

Cricket's in Madison for buffalo wings

since Sister Gooch is closed, Pauli's in Madison, they have a web site with menus