FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:18 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by bvonarx
Please indulge my ignorance/confusion on TWOV rules as it relates to layovers in China. My early September travels look like this:
Inbound: JFK >CAN (layover = 4.2 HR) > KTM
Outbound leg KTM > CAN (layover = 6hr 50m) > PVG (layover = 4HR 30M) > JFK
As the layovers are relatively short and I don’t expect to leave airside, am I subject to TWOV rules? If so what are your thoughts on either obtaining a Transit Visa (if needed) prior to departure or just deal with it on arrival? Thanks for you help.
Hi and welcome to FT.

Your itinerary will be subject to TWOV rules. The wiki at the top of the thread provides full details under the 24-hour TWOV section which applies for short transits, or multiple transits.

Your second trip into China, stopping in CAN and PVG, needs to be within 24 hours from the time you are first scheduled to land at CAN, to the time you are scheduled to leave PVG. From the times you have given this looks to be fine.

There's nothing you need to do before departure, the check-in agents at JFK and KTM will make the necessary note in your booking.