FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:18 am
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Prospero
The forum reads as a rolodex of different locations/venues so perhaps if the format was loosened it might encourage greater discussion. Having a dedicated forum can instil a sense of community but I am wondering if the prescribed format (which works perfectly as thread wikis) is impeding the forum’s growth.

I think when a forum is created as place to encourage discussion and the anticipated discussion between members is not forthcoming then any questions concerning the forum’s future viability as well as alternatives should be considered.
The remit, description, structure, and protocols of the forum were explicitly approved by the Community Director. The forum is functioning exactly as she intended it, I believe.

Yes (to revisit the issue that was raised before) such posts could be in other hotel/destination forums but a) they would be much harder to search for (do I search for "smoke," "smoking," "smoker," or ??); and, b) the mods in other forums would get to clean up off-topic posts that posts/threads about smoking almost always generate.

The forum is a useful and successful (judging from page views, as noted) forum that well-complements the library of information that is FlyerTalk.