FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A great discovery for dessert
View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:37 pm
Sweet Willie
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sugar – a dessert bar – Chicago

Sugar is a dessert bar, a supposed cool, hipster hangout place.

We had finished our sushi at Sushi Samba and felt like dessert. Sugar is only a few blocks away so we walked.

We arrived at 7pm on a Saturday night, so it was not crowded. We were greeted by the eye candy hostess and seated at a booth. She left us with the comment, “you have the booth for 1 ˝ hours, after which it is reserved”

Wife made the comment that it is a good thing the lights are low as if you were to turn them up the place would look like someone’s badly designed basement. A true comment.
But hey, we were there for the dessert, which I believe is created by a pastry chef who used to be with Charlie Trotter’s.

The menu is a fun play on words with desserts such as the desserts we had of Banana Karenina and Et Tu Frute? Or such as Pearadise Lost, The Interpretation of Creams, MacDeath By Chocolate.

Nice booze selection.

Under each dessert listed are suggested drinks. Wife choose champagne, I choose a (don’t have the whole name) Don PX which tasted like a raisin liquor. This was delicious, I could have just drank this as my dessert.

Wife is dairy free and hence she choose a fruit based dessert, she did have it w/o the caramel/dairy topping that was supposed to come with it, so I don’t think her dish would be a fair review.

That’s fine, onto my stellar dessert.

Chocolate chewy meringue (sp?) with carmelized banana slices, with carmelized banana pudding, surrounded by a hot fudge that was more dark chocolate taste than milk chocolate. All slightly warm. WOW WOW WOW. Incredible.

Sugar is sure a nice place to end the dining portion of one’s evening. I usually don’t have a sweet tooth, but after my great dessert, I’ll be back.

Sugar – A dessert bar
108 W. Kinzie (just west of Clark)
Chicago,