FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:34 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycityny
I have a one-way LAX-EWR reservation for the end of September. I paid $165 for the economy ticket and am waitlisted with an RPU. There is now a possibility that I won't take that flight and so will just cancel the reservation and lose what I paid for the ticket as it's less than the change fee.

My question is about the RPU. If it clears before I cancel the ticket will I be able to retrieve the RPU for future use? Or should I call in now to have them unapply it? I'd rather leave it applied in the event that I do take the flight but don't want to lose it if I don't.
Just leave it. If you end up cancelling and RPU has cleared prior to cancelling, you can call, cancel ticket, and ask for RPU to be re-deposited. You can also cancel online and hope RPU is re-deposited, but I find I almost always have to follow-up w/ a call anyway. RPU is not considered really used until you actually fly the segment benefiting from its application..