FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:22 pm
lobstahpotts

Programs: AA, BA, UA, LH, AF/KLM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Chase never announced this 5/24 stuff publicly, so if you want "confirmation or denial" you have to wait for actual data points, which will have to wait for people to actually be able to apply for this card.

However:

This a Chase non-co-branded card. Chase's personal non-co-branded cards have had 5/24 without any exception since May 2015. Also, the one time since then when Chase has had a new non-co-branded card introduced (Freedom Unlimited), 5/24 was applied to it from the moment it went public online (with any possible exceptions having to do with in-branch obscurities like always).

So based on all that, why would you think that 5/24 would not apply to this card?
I can think of 2 big reasons. 1) We're all irrationally hopeful because this bonus sounds great and almost all of us are SOL.
2) This is more likely a positive outcome: if Chase wants to drive initial signups, not opening the card to 5/24 customers will massively cut back on the available pool. The majority of the credit-card using population is not going to be interested in a $300+ annual fee card (heck, most of them are Dave Ramsey fans and will never get a card with a fee at all). From a bookkeeping perspective, Chase would likely see fairly poor signups for this card if 5/24 violators were excluded, whereas with the Freedom Unlimited there was never really any chance of that flopping (no-AF, easy 1.5% cash back, and nice sign up bonus--appealing to a much wider audience).

This isn't to say I think Chase WILL let us in, but to me that would be the why if they did--making sure as much of this card's limited audience can get it as possible.