FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need some basic understanding SAA
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:22 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Need some basic understanding SAA

Senior couple, recently eye surgery beneficiaries, can finally do a Safari. Have a few questions on SAA/UA? I checked out website of SAA and ended up giving a travel planner with them info to put "something together" for us. As to flights, we originally planned to do something to somewhere and then spend a couple days, then resume to JNB. She tells me I can do JFK to JNB in 15+- hrs. As we live in SAN, we can go a couple days early...then fly on. We have points to do SAN-JNB on Alaska (partner flight).

Checking flights on SAA website JFK to JNB the rates are Priority 38xx and Premium 6100 (pp), as I asked for business...what are the differences? Are these prices RT or OW?

A couple flights have technical stops? What are they?

We will be flying in (2017) March/April or Sept/Oct. if that matters. Don't really sleep on the plane, so we need to break up our trip if it gets to 20 or more hours.

We have 110,00+ each ff miles on UA. Any use for these flights? (note, I have not run the trip on UA website yet). Was 1kG, now nothing.

If we pay for the flight and SAA is not there still, any experience or knowledge if we can protect ourselves?

I assume JNB is the best AP for us? We are looking to do up to 2+-3 wks, VicFalls, Jo for a couple days and a couple safari camps for a few days each.

Thank you for any help you can offer.