FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cannot decide between functionality between Farpoint 40 and Motherlode Jr
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:17 pm
Ryvyan

Question Cannot decide between functionality between Farpoint 40 and Motherlode Jr

I have owned a Mei Voyageur for a few years, but the canvas is starting to get sticky, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade. Currently, the Voyageur is a smidge too tall and the hip strap a bit too loose (though just nice if I'm wearing a coat), but it is still a fantastic bag.

I have asked Mei Packs if they are able to customise me one but it may be a few too many changes.

My requirements:
1) laptop compartment does not eat into main compartment; located nearer to back than front
2) good backpack straps and hip strap support
3) slightly structured single big compartment with only a few small ones

Two bags that *almost* works for me:
a) The eBags TLS Motherlode Jr (slightly shorter) is almost perfect except for the hip strap support [and the tag, but let's not be fussy].
b) The Osprey Farpoint 40 is almost perfect except the laptop compartment is located in the front [and it looks too round aesthetically, but again, no need to be overly fussy].

I'm tempted to spring for the eBags because of the price point, but I don't really want to regret the lack of a good hip support even though I've been going for far fewer exploration-of-city-with-backpack trips.

Am I missing something?