FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My simple BRG tool
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:34 am
cbellero

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by uriel888
Do you mean that the rate on the SPG official website already included tax? ummm... It seems that most countries in EURO will include taxes in the original price. The bad news is that I cannot fix this right now, because to do this then I need to do some researches for every country's tax policy. This will be quite time consuming, but I will put this kinda of bug on my list and fix it after I fix most mapping issues.
The challenge is that the reference sites may or may not include taxes. And then you do not know which taxes are included. VAT is only one component. There may also be cultural or tourist taxes based upon number of people, number of stars of the hotel, or the city.

Another challenge is that taxes sometimes deviate by city within a country and or the star rating of the hotel.

What I would recommend is that you include a loop in your programming that compares the BRG rate and adds the VAT tax only based upon country. If it is within a chosen percentage of the BRG rate (perhaps 2%), then the BRG rate should get appended with a comment stating the difference may be due to taxes not being included.

If that is something doable, I would be willing to provide you with a list of the VAT tax rates within Europe and then also include whether or not the SPG rates include taxes. I just hope that the SPG rates within one country always include or exclude the VAT rates for all SPG hotels in that country.