FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free Windows 10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:55 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Using win 7 pro, have been for ages, and like it/am used to it. No problems, except windows update sometimes runs slowly, and I have to keep checking which win10 nag updates to hide.

Is there any castiron reason to upgrade to 10? I just do general Office stuff on this, nothing fancy at all.
How old is the machine? For machines bought before mid-2013 (and plenty of lower end ones into early 2014), probably no reason to upgrade as long as Windows 7 is still getting security updates.

For some hardware starting with the from the mid/late-2013 generation Intel processors ("haswell") and most hardware sold starting in 2014 later, Windows 7 has never really supported the hardware that well, and an increasing number of features are unsupported. I'd recommend at least considering upgrading on machines that age and newer.

Also, while it doesn't apply to you, I'd also recommend upgrading any Windows 8 and 8.1 machines; Windows 10 was really kind of "8.2" and fixed a lot of ways 8 and 8.1 totally sucked.