FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 15 year old (minor) cannot take last flight of day? (to merge)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:42 pm
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I am reading it as he is still an unaccompanied minor at 15 and subject to the 'no last flight of the day' rule, as well as the other rules. They give you the choice to use or not use the unaccompanied minor service at that age but he is still subject to the UM rules even if you choose not to use the service. Not using the UM service doesn't change the fact he is still 15 and an unaccompanied minor - he still can't do any of the things listed, you can just choose not to take the full service. That's my read of it.

Kind of like someone who needs mobility assistance. They can't sit in an exit row, for example but they can choose or not choose the wheelchair service. Even if they don't choose wheelchair service as they can maneuver on their own, they are still bound by the exit row rules. Not using an assistance service doesn't exempt you from the other rules. That's how I am reading it.
This seems to make the most sense to me, but I agree the web page is confusing. In and of itself, "We won’t accept unaccompanied minors when their itineraries include:...The last flight of the day from the final connection city" seems pretty straightforward. As far as I can tell, a 15 year old traveling alone is an unaccompanied minor.

But they place that language under the heading of "Unaccompanied Minor Service".

My money would be on bad page design, not an intentional policy decision, but I don't think it's 100% clear.

They could have also said "We won't accept unaccompanied minors to the UMNR service when their itineraries include...", but they didn't.