FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reticent Partner
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:51 pm
jkumpire

More Information

Originally Posted by JerryFF
You haven't really explained what the problem is - fear of being in the air, discomfort on an airplane, fear of landing and taking off? There are different solutions for each of those. For most people who are afraid, the take offs and landings are the most difficult, so multiple stops are not the best solution. If it is discomfort in the air, nearly all international carriers offer premium coach seating equivalent to United E+.

If you flew nonstop from Cleveland to SFO, the international segment over the water to Europe really isn't much longer. With all of the electronic devices available these days, as well as inflight entertainment, boredom should not be a problem. Try to avoid a middle seat - if necessary, get two aisle seats across from each other.
First,

Thank you for all the responses so far, I appreciate them very much. I believe much of it revolves around not being comfortable; having to sit for so long, not being able to sleep, being crowded, seats not being easy to sit on. I have no problem getting up and walking around, talking to people, esp. flight crew if they are not busy, but she didn't/wouldn't.

She also is not comfortable with 'being confined in a tube for hours on end', an interesting statement that could mean several things.

I personally think a business-class flight would help, and maybe a day in Iceland to break up the flights if that is not too massively expansive (another issue).

As to medication, never, unless she is interested in trying it, especially a sleeping aid.

Any other advice is greatly welcomed.

I really think business class would help, if she is willing.