FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Attracting More Tourists
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:39 am
jamar

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by evergrn
I agree that konbini trash cans, in theory, are for trash generated from konbini purchases. But the reality is, most of the stuff people put in the konbini trash bins has nothing to do with the konbini purchase. Yes there're some konbinis where there's a few chairs for people to sit and consume food they'd just bought. But vast majority of people buy stuff at the konbini and walk right out with it, so there's not going to be much of any immediate trash generated from konbini customers.

I myself use konbini as a trash receptacle, and so does all my family in Jpn. I don't feel bad about doing it since I'm just throwing away a few little things and I'm stopping by to make a purchase. One should not be bringing in garbage from home, and I certainly don't do that, but there're actually people who do it. If you look inside konbini garbage bins, you'll often see plastic bags filled with garbage. And it's not seldom that I see people stop into konbini just to throw away stuff and then take off without shopping. Huge disservice to the konbini, who has to not only pay for the disposal but also sort out trash.
I mean, the vast majority of the trash I ditch in the konbini bins came from a konbini... just not necessarily the konbini I'm tossing it at. That I also learned that if I'm going to be taking up their time and resources like that I'm going to go in and buy something to show that I know it costs them something. Although that just means more trash down the road. And on it goes.