FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Won't people get sick eating semi-cooked crabs like this?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:27 am
Sweet Willie
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Semi cooked crab prepared with rubber gloves? If he won't touch it, I wouldn't eat it.
rubber gloves is likely a requirement of food service sanitation law, not how sanitary the food item is.

Perhaps personal prep cleanliness?
i.e. I wear rubber gloves when preparing garden soil so I don't have to super scrub my hands of dirt. I've also thought about it when cleaning seafood.
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Won't people get sick eating semi-cooked crabs like this?
at a number of Korean restaurants, I've had raw crab served with some sesame chili oil, delicious, I've also made this dish at home, although not frequently as Mrs Willie isn't a fan of digging meat from shells.
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
She insists that people in Thailand have "stronger stomach and
don't get sick like the average American tourists..."
Like pnt1 I would agree with this to an extent, not that Thais have stronger stomachs, but just that the different bacteria they are exposed to gives them the ability to digest food items that might make a westerner sick. i.e. don't drink that water when in Mexico.

That said, I'm guessing a Thai is going to suffer from salmonella or botulism the same as a westerner.