FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2016]
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:47 pm
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
I think I've made this point before. At one particular chain in the UK (Wagamama although I am sure this is not unique) the procedure works like this...

The waiter/waitress, upon seeing I wish to pay with a card, brings a terminal to me, inserts the card (used to swipe the card pre USA emv) enter the amount, hands me the terminal and tells/asks me to follow the instructions...I am asked if I wish to add a tip (press one button for yes, the other for no), if I say yes, I am asked to enter the amount of the tip (it is easy in the UK, I consider the proper tipping amount to be 10%...I know vat is included so I'm really tipping on amount + tax. Drop the last digit and move the decimal point one place (a bill of £20.50 is a tip of £2.05). I enter the amount, press the green button, am asked if the total amount is now, in this case, £22.55, press the green button and at this point, which I am not, I presume I would be asked to enter my pin. Of course with almost all US cards which would be signature preferred, I am now told to return the terminal to the waiter/waitress who presses a button producing a slip to sign, gives me my copy and done. Sometimes, the waiter fails to follow the above procedure, runs the charge without giving me the terminal. In that case, the tip is £0...I don't pay cash for tips...don't believe in paying cash for anything while on holiday. Of course, in many other countries like France, service is included in the amount so no tipping is expected and none is given by me (never heard a complaint from a waiter). Signature slip is printed and signed and done.

But I suspect our restaurants here will not be bringing in the portable terminals any time soon. (another reason signature preferred is the USA standard at this point in time).
I don't even care if we go PIN for everything else but restaurants at this point. I would like a proper PIN so I can use my card 100% of the time everywhere I go.