FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picking up at LAX without a flight
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:50 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mradey
I had this problem (admittedly with Hertz) - flew into LAX and stayed overnight at a convenient hotel. Walked to the facility the following morning to collect my car - nothing available... reason was, I had put my flight number on the reservation which arrives daily in the early evening.

I don't see why this was a problem as I booked my reservation for 10am but the counter clerk indicated the arrival time of the flight was their guide (there is no facility to enter date of flight). Now I always indicate I am not flying in when completing the reservation form.
The purpose of a flight number is if you're picking up the car when the flight arrives and to adjust that if the flight is late.

You should certainly not put in a flight number if you're not picking up the car when the flight arrives. But I would advise still putting in the flight number if you are picking up the car as soon as you got off the plane.

If you always leave off the flight number, even when you're planning on picking up the car as soon you land, you could end up with the opposite problem someday, of your flight being several hours late and your car reservation being cancelled because you didn't pick up anywhere close to on time. So you should not do it always one way or the other, but put in the flight number when it makes sense and don't put it in when it doesn't make sense.