FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:58 pm
tvtd

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by npapadon
Hi Folks,

I'm on a Delta flight from SFO to JFK. The flight is nearly empty, so I decided to purchase a ~$40 Gogo in-flight WIFI data plan, get some work done and FaceTime (Vo-ip) back home. FaceTime worked great and the quality was close to an LTE connection. I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

10 minutes passed and a flight attendant told me to disable FaceTime because it was in violation of FAA rules. I told her it was over Gogo WIFI (Cellular doesn't work at 10,000+ feet anyway) that I purchased and there was no mention restrictions on FaceTime shown when purchasing the plan or mention of FAA rules restricting FaceTime aka Vo-ip. Long story short I disabled FaceTime and started searching for rules regarding this.
Originally Posted by Xeno
Delta, thankfully so, does not allow voice/video 'phone' calls. There was loud outcry, so to speak, when the policy was under review.
Welcome to FT!

Someone smarter than I can probably state which port FaceTime operates through. Since it was working GoGo probably does not block it. That being said I would venture to guess the broad majority of PAX are not as considerate as the OP.