FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:39 pm
npapadon

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Hi Folks,

I'm on a Delta flight from SFO to JFK. The flight is nearly empty, so I decided to purchase a ~$40 Gogo in-flight WIFI data plan, get some work done and FaceTime (Vo-ip) back home. FaceTime worked great and the quality was close to an LTE connection. I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

10 minutes passed and a flight attendant told me to disable FaceTime because it was in violation of FAA rules. I told her it was over Gogo WIFI (Cellular doesn't work at 10,000+ feet anyway) that I purchased and there was no mention restrictions on FaceTime shown when purchasing the plan or mention of FAA rules restricting FaceTime aka Vo-ip. Long story short I disabled FaceTime and started searching for rules regarding this.

FAA doesn't appear to mention any restriction on vo-ip using WIFI. I did find mention restricting it in Gogo's Delta "terms and conditions" as follows in very small font (Jul-21-2016):

"Voice service is not permitted nor supported."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ght-wi-fi.html

I do not recall seeing any mention of this when Gogo offered me the $40/flight plan.

Gogo could block FaceTime but it does not. I'm happy to follow the rules, however am very confused on the background for restricting vo-ip or FaceTime on flights. It's going over the legally approved WIFI, the service could be blocked by Gogo if it really interfered with bandwidth and in past years airplanes had a phone in front of every seat. Is it a noise issue? If so, then why the phones in planes a few years back? Perhaps the added income was enough for airlines to allow talking on the phone in flight.

Interesting in your thoughts.

Thanks