FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "If I ran FlyerTalk..."
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:26 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Require moderators delete content that is well out of date. For example, I was just looking at a hotel review thread that started in 2001 and the posts from 2001 are still there. I find material that old has little value in deciding whether I should stay at a property in 2016, and elite perks that were offered in 2001 may be very different in 2016. I'd archive all material that's more than 5 years old as a start to clean up forums with old, stale, out-of-date material.

Does anyone say "I'd really like to see what the hotel experience was in 2001 before deciding to stay there?".

I'd also eliminate permanent moderators and require a rotation out of the moderation role every few years to experience FT solely from the member point of view. We already do this with Talk Board members timing out.

Has FT ever considered a paid moderator corps of a few members to cover all the forums? I could see that offering a more consistent experience in terms of moving and deleting content. Aren't there something over 100 moderators right now?