FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "If I ran FlyerTalk..."
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:41 pm
saizai

1. Prohibit moderators from moderating content about themselves. In general, have some sort of moderation review, so concerns about moderation are decided by someone who isn't biased, rather than the same person whose actions raised concerns.

2. Change your censorship algorithm to prevent clbuttic (sic) errors. Or better, just remove it altogether. It's stupid nannying; let people express themselves as they wish, and let others respond to that as they deem appropriate. It also breaks links, like google documents, that contain the letter sequence W T F in the URL.

In general, I think that the moderation does cross the line to being biased censorship. For instance, on the TS&S forum, it's censored to disparage TSA screeners as a group … but not to disparage disabled people as a group. I do not think that censorship of this sort is an appropriate way to de-escalate hot conversations, let alone as a first pass action.

Pointing out where people are being improperly rude, and asking them to refocus on issues, requires *social* interaction and a calming voice — not censorship.

3. Allow people using Facebook login to add a username/password so there's an alternative login option (and so it works on mobile, and so it's possible to get email notifications).

4. Have a policy about moderating trolls, and permit posters to publicly call other posters on inappropriate behavior, rather than having the objections themselves be censored.

Last edited by saizai; Jul 20, 2016 at 2:46 pm