FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:27 pm
freshairborne

Originally Posted by goodeats21
LOL OK, now I am curious.

What was the least believable...yet totally valid...thing you have had to announce?
Here's one; many more though: After a lengthy maintenance delay, we were just about to get the door shut but the gate agent told us there were a couple of late connecting passengers that would make the flight since we were delayed. They happened to be high-status passengers (which means little to me because all of my passengers are high-status in my book). They boarded and we were off. I made the PA as they boarded that our maintenance issue was resolved. As I stood at the cockpit door and thanked the passengers after we landed, several folks gave me the hairy eyeball and insinuated that I didn't really have a maintenance problem; I'd made that up in order to hold the flight for the passengers.

But one of so many scenarios that are viewed with skepticism when I'm really just trying to get everyone where they want to go as safely and comfortably as possible.

I got a little stink-eye for landing in DEN 20 minutes late tonight. People have no clue what dealing with nasty weather is like in front of the cockpit door.

3 more years....

FAB