FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on first time visit to South Korea
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:10 pm
nme7

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by Askartus
- Stay 6 nights in Seoul (Hotel Foreheal Gangnam is reserved but may be cancelled)
This hotel is located south of the river. If you take the AREX to Seoul station, then from there it will be either a long taxi ride (and possibly expensive) or a good adventure on the subway to get to your hotel. Not fun with luggage.

I suggest taking the Airport Limo bus #6009 to Nonhyeon station. Hotel Foreheal is located just a few blocks east of exit #8 of Nonhyeon station.

Some other places to see in Seoul. There is Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market going on Friday and Saturday evenings until Oct.

Also, for something cultural and food other than korean bbq, try Sancheon in Insadong area. I recommend the dinner course because they also have a live Korean traditional performance during the dinner. The place is located a few steps back from the main street of Insadong. Google maps can help here.

As far as DMZ Tours, the consensus is Koridoor Tours done through the USO. Whichever tour provider you pick, you will want to make sure to visit the JSA.

From Busan station to Incheon Airport, I believe KTX #134 (12:00 - 15:37) would be appropriate for your 6pm departure to NRT. But, you might also consider using the Airport Check in service at Seoul station instead.

Pros:
- Do not have to haul your luggage all the way from the train platform all the way to Asiana counter. It is a long walk.
- Bypass the normal security line at ICN. You can enter the crew/staff entrance.
- Immigration is done at Seoul station so when you arrive at ICN, just head to the expedited lane (after security) and you are through.

Cons:
- Need to arrive at Seoul station 3 hours before departure time. If you come with less than 3 hours before departure, they will not let you check in. Not a problem if you take KTX #134 and get out at Seoul station.
- Cost. I do not believe Korail pass covers the AREX non-stop trip from Seoul station to ICN airport. If you do try this, just remember you need to purchase the airport express non-stop ticket before walking up to the check-in counter. If you do not, the lady will not check you in.

In regards to the Korail pass, you can purchase both a 7 and 3 day pass at the same time. Just activate the 3 day pass later when you need it. But I am wondering if you need it. I see your schedule has a train ride from 1) Seoul to Gwangju, 2) Gwangju to Jinju, 3) Busan to Incheon. It might be cheaper to purchase separately.

Korail pass:
7-day - 195,000
3-day - 113,000
Total: 308,000

Separate tickets:
Yongsan to Gwangju Songjung station - 46,800
Gwangju to Jinju -??? bus? train?
Busan to Incheon Airport - 72,100
Total: 118,900 plus the cost of Gwangju to Jinju.

Or am I missing the day trips?

Last edited by nme7; Jul 20, 2016 at 3:52 am