FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Full meal even on a short KA flight?
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyPointyEnd

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hikouki
Anyway, I wanted to know if KA still serves hot meals on very short flights, like those between HKG and Taiwan or Clark (Philippines).
I did CRK recently and they gave out a small pack of biscuit from Kee Wah, a small piece of chocolate and Bonaqua in a brown paper bag. There was no J class available on the flight.

I've flown between MNL and HKG on CX (Y and PEY) and for the past three years, they have been serving the SAME brownish meat they call "adobo" wrapped in a warm, dry but chewy excuse for a tortilla.
Never eat those wraps served on MNL routes, actually never eat any of the wraps CX gives you....just look at the expiry dates on those...last time I heard they can keep for 5 years....what on earth do they put in those things to make them last for 5 years!?!?

I do like to point out that the Youtube video was posted a year ago. So I have to defer to others who fly on KA to verify if they are still serving hot meals after the rebranding.

A long time ago when Philippine Airlines originally declared for bankruptcy, catering was not available at MNL. CX outsourced it from The Mandarin Oriental. They served snack boxes with a chicken sandwich, a croissant, an apple and an orange. I think that was much more substantial, satisfying, healthy and presentable than what they serve today.
From what I know most meals on MNL flights are double catered from HKG, except for CX904 and CX912 which stays the night in MNL. Those would be catered by MacroAsia from what I recall. They do serve good Filipino breakfast on business class though, normally two months in a year.

Speaking of Philippine Airlines, I believe they serve hot meals on all international flights unlike CX between MNL/CEB and HKG