FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL with 2 little kids - overnight layover at LHR or push through?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:39 am
chestnutmt

TATL with 2 little kids - overnight layover at LHR or push through?

Looking for thoughts about travelling with preschoolers and LHR play areas.

Currently have a business AA award booked as follows:
VIE-LHR 8:00-9:35
LHR-DFW 14:25-18:50
DFW-COS 22:00-22:56

Travelling with spouse, a 3 year old and 5 year old, all have done several TATLs before and know the drills.

We are not on a time crunch at all, and I see an option to make an overnight at LHR at the Hilton connected to Terminal 4. Wondering if we should just take it easy and enjoy the pool there and LHR play areas before the big flight to DFW. Schedule would be

VIE-LHR 14:35-16:05 (or 16:44-18:25)
(overnight at Hilton in a Family room)
LHR-DFW 14:20-18:45
DFW-COS 22:00-22:56

I'm a Hilton Diamond, so we'd have breakfast covered. Also, might have Priority Pass and Centurion DFW lounge access if I don't cancel the AmEx Plats this fall.

This trip is actually part of an international household move back to the US, so I want to make it as pleasant as possible. Usually we avoid transfers at LHR as much as possible, but the routing on this worked out the best. Not sure what our terminals would be, though.

There's a chance that if we depart VIE in the afternoon rather than 8:00, we could stay in our apartment the night before rather than get another hotel room. Whether we really want to stay in a near empty apartment, however, is another discussion.