FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:27 pm
jrhmdtraum
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjque
FAs don't sell restraints. At least, not any US airline I've used.

And the plural of anecdote is not data - no matter how many anecdotes you have. If you can't quantify the risk by pointing to actual data, then you cannot speak with any authority as to the actual risk.

And let's also define what we are talking about here. There appear to be two conversations happening:

1. People arguing that an infant is safer in a car seat than on a parent's lap. I don't think anyone is arguing that point. But rather than respond with data about how dangerous it actually is to fly with a lap child, people are resorting to emotional blackmail (i.e. "if you love your baby, you'll buy a seat").

2. People questioning the difference in safety between putting a toddler in a seat with a seat belt and lugging a car seat on board (or using CARES). How much more dangerous is it to put your toddler in the seat belt vs. a specialized restraint? Is one actually better than the other?
1. The airlines and FTA don't keep data except for deaths or serious injuries. But if you look at # of severe air pockets and at least one flying lap child per incident ...

2. If it is your child and there is a finite risk, does the data matter?

3 infants don't "fit" in adult seat belts

And again, do you have or treat kids? If not - what does it matter to u