FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow hotel
Thread: Heathrow hotel
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2002, 11:47 pm
Worldtraveler36

"Because I can't make a good connection, I need to stay overnight at Heathrow. Suggestions for close, and moderate priced?"

Heathrow Airport, apart from Miami and Los Angeles(LAX), has the greatest selection of airport hotels in the world. Toronto and Paris CDG are also good. I love the selection.

As mentioned, that horrible Heathrow Hoppa has made Heathrow(a good airport for aviation enthusiasts) even more hell for travelers. The tackiness of charging 2 pounds 50 each way, and they will take a full $5US if you don't have GBP, is one of the most horrid things I have ever seen at an airport on this earth. Gatwick is cheaper, at free outbound and 2 GBP to come out to the airport, though some have waived that for me at night, at Gatwick only.

Also, the buses(in most cases) make 3 stops, so it CAN be a long commute, especially the one to the Le Meridien, Crowne Plaza, and Novotel. The buses are always full and they seldom help you with your luggage, vs. the good old days with nice hotel coaches, they helped you with your luggage, and it was free and far more comfortable. UGH!

The Rennaissance is my favorite(it is an old hotel) because it is literally near the runway. You can sit there and watch planes take off and land, love it!(Request a room, high floor, facing airport). Marriott elite status def. helps. I am staying at LHR overnight because of that hotel, though again, I dread that horrible Hoppa. Everytime I am at LHR I fill out the comment cards blasting the Hoppa.
Maybe someday the British(whom I love) will realize that it is quite an embarrasment and many people are avoiding transiting Heathrow because of things like that. What if all airport hotels charged for the airport shuttles? I can assure you it would dissuade people from using airport hotels. You can take the London Airbus into the city for 6 pounds. Get real! Munich did something similar.

Other hotels are the Sheraton Skyline, the Radisson Edwardian(comfy rooms),Marriott, and the Crowne Plaza. The Hilton does connect to T4, but is very expensive and really only works if you are flying in and out of T4, otherwise it is actually more of a pain to lug your bags on to the Heathrow Express to 1,2, and 3. I swear these people must be on drugs to plan such utter crap.

Hope this helps.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold