FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:03 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think it's on the radar. UA is obviously trying to get out of flying international tags and fifth-freedom services. SFO-SIN was always a much higher priority than SFO-BKK, but with two 787-9s coming in early 2017, and three more to follow later (more likely 2018), there is definitely room for another ULH in the SFO portfolio, and BKK would seem to be the most likely candidate.

Once more sCO 777-224ERs are on the West Coast to start 744 replacement (supposedly to begin after the 77Ws arrive, same with ORD), BKK would theoretically be within 777 range, too, given their slightly longer legs than the -222ERs.
I think this is another route killed off by UA doing a CO 737 tag. Not only was the wait long and the arrival and take off times bad, but you got this little rinky dink plane at the end. What UA was offering was just not competitive, with say taking CX or the Korean Airlines, or changing planes in TPE being wide body the entire way and with better times.

As to SFO-BKK, I would raise the same issues as with SFO-SGN, its a very long flight (7932 miles) and I doubt there will be the very good Premium load UA is getting (for now... ) to SIN. I don't think they can make it work unless they fill the plane in Y, which is hard if you are blocking off seats.

p.s. no way the economics work with the fuel burn of the 777. A 350-9 may work SFO-SGN (or LAX-SGN) as it would not need seats blocked westbound in the winter.