FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:20 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cale905
Hi All,

Just wondering if I could get some guidance on a dilemma I will be facing at the end of the year in requalifying for my 50K status for 2017 (have been 50K or equivalent since 2010).

I cannot remember exactly when AC made the announcement that, rather than the minimum miles on AC metal, they were using AQD, but I do know it happened before my company booked my YYZ-TPE-HK flight last January on BR (the flight was booked in July 2015 as they had a fare sale in PY).

Normally, I fly twice per year to HK (using the YYZ-YVR-HKG routing), once to FRA, and then LAS. I've always hit my overall qualifying miles, as well as the minimum AC-metal requirement mileage.

However, this year with the change in requirement to AQD, it looks like I'm going to come up about $800 short of the $6K required. If AC were still using the old model of AC metal mileage requirement, I'd have still requalified, since I'll fly about 30K on AC Metal this year (and about 52K total)

Does anyone have any knowledge of how strict AC is going to be on this requirement? Like I said, had I known about the switch to AQD for this year before booking my January 2016 flight, I would have booked AC to make sure. I'm not sure if there's someone I can call at AC Altitude to plead my case.

My company is being stricter this year about how much they're willing to pay for flights, so there's no way I can convince my boss to allow me to book a Latitude fare to make up the difference when I book my upcoming flight to HKG in September.

Any info and/or guidance is greatly appreciated as always from this intrepid group.

Best,

Cale
814 AQD, $990 total cost.

http://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights...081507&CABIN=B

The Rapidair routes are GREAT for AQD runs, because you can pick fare classes that add up to exactly what you need.