FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX to SYD United (Direct) or AC via YVR
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:02 pm
hyperzulu

Originally Posted by D582
Your bag will be checked all the way through regardless if you stay in the airport or not.

If staying, you follow the signs for international connections and go through a passport check and then end up back in the international departures zone.

If leaving, you follow the signs for arrivals, clear immigration, and then simply leave the customs hall as your bag will stay in the baggage system. When you return to the airport you just go through international security and go to your gate.

I would recommend leaving the airport and enjoying Vancouver.
Got it. Yeah I would head out to see the city if I had a layover. Why waste time in the airport... Same with our eight hour layover in HKG on the way back home. Would be good to get a day's worth of activity in before taking the red-eye to Sydney anyway. That way I can be rested before landing two days into the future.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Correct, but a seven hour lay-over in YVR on a UA award ticket LAX-YVR-SYD does not constitute a "true stopover". You are allowed up to 23 hours.
OK I understand what you mean now. The 7 hour layover is the route provided by the United online booking agent, so I assume it's a legal route for a United award on Air Canada.