FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norway in a Nutshell - Questions
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:30 pm
sooge_sj

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles

1. Should I book boat tickets for specific boats in advance, or just catch whatever boat is next? I like the idea of just catching whatever boat is next, for the flexibility, but am concerned that boats may be full and we wait for hours, or worse yet get stuck. Do boats fill up? Thoughts?

2. I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that there are two bus routes Voss-Gudvangen: the one that just takes the E16, and another that partially takes E16 and partially takes a road with hairpin turns that passes the waterfalls. I like the latter better. How can I tell which is which? Bus schedule Is is that the ones that stop at the Stalheim hotel and take 60+ minutes go through the waterfalls, and the ones that takes less than 60 minutes just take the E16? Or am I just misinformed about the busses? And do busses fill up or can I count on always having a seat?
I just got back from a 16 day trip to Norway, and I did all the planning and booking for planes, ships, trains, ferries, buses and all other modes of transportation on my own.

With regards to the Gudvangen to Flam ferry/boat, I would suggest that you book ahead. The day I traveled (June 30th), the boat was crowded. There were many tour groups as well as individual travelers. Especially if you are traveling with luggage, get to the dock on time, get in line and try to be one of the 1st on the boat, so you can grab a good spot with a view.

With regards to the Voss-Gudvangen bus, bus # 950. This just goes from Voss station to the Gudvangen dock, and it takes the scenic route that also stops at the Stalheim hotel. This is very beautiful, and try to get a seat on the right hand side.

You can use https://www.skyss.no/en/timetable-an...ravel-planner/ to check for the schedule. Just enter Voss stasjon as the start point and Gudvangen kai as the end point. Kai means dock.

The other bus from Voss-Gudvangen bus, bus # 4500, which does not take the scenic route. Instead it takes the short cut tunnel. This bus doesn't go to the Gudvangen dock. The bus stop is on the E16 main road and the bus stop is called Gudvangen E16. While the #950 bus just goes from Voss to the Gudvangen dock, the #4500 bus starts in Bergen, goes through Voss and Gudvangen, and continues.

Hope this helps.