FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:07 pm
Proudelitist
Suspended

Originally Posted by seat38a
My parents and I flew to ABQ this past weekend on Southwest Airlines since United had some terrible schedules into ABQ. This was the first time I've flown WN since they implemented the group + line number boarding system. I paid for Early Bird checkin and was assigned Group A 26, 27 and 28. I was quite amazed at how orderly the boarding process was. The only "cattle call" was on my last 4 United flights. Gate lice are not an issue since everyone has a line number.

Couple observations that United should copy.
1. Families board AFTER group A has boarded but before group B.
2. Medical pre boarding requires getting a pre board pass from the counter NOT just randomly joining the disabled pre boarding group.
3. Boarding group A 1-15 is reserved for WN's version of "Business Class" Business Select fare payers. All other elites via A List level get assigned AFTER the paid Business Select boards.
4. Maybe implement some sort of line numbering system to prevent gate lice and ENFORCE IT.

For all the ills people talk about WN's boarding system, I thought it was a REALLY fair system, that they actually enforced and also rewards those who paid the highest fares, and elites. Also, WN is able to do this with only one line. Group A gets in line then boards, then B, then C without the {mess} of the 5 line system of UA.
It's not all roses. I avoid WN when I can because of many things, the boarding system being one of them.

EBCI is a perfect case of giving you a disease and then selling you the cure. They take extra revenue by people trying to avoid a problem WN themselves have created: Having to roll the dice and having to interrupt your day 24 hours beforehand to check in. Worse still, the program gets exploited by groups who buy 1, EBCI ticket, and then save seats for their companions..thereby devaluing the product for others that have paid for it. As WN refuses to take a stance on seat saving, don't expect them to make any effort to end this practice. What's more, it really doesn't offer much when you take into account thru pax. If WN simply had assigned seating, none of this would be an issue.

WN is all coach class. As such, the rewards are not that great. You get a free coach seat after a huge amount of flying, but one that is not assigned and still requires you to get into the scrum. No first class..no lounges..no points xferable to intl long hauls.

No bag fee is nice, but let's face it, most of us FF'er never check bags anyhow. No change fees is also nice, but not completely true either if there is a $ differential between flights when you have to pay the diff. Flying 2 times a week for 10 years, I have only ever had to change a flight once anyhow, so for me, it's not an incentive. It may be for those with more fluid schedules.

Fly WN enough, and you will see that the seating system they have is more pain than pleasure. In almost every flight there are kettles who cannot figure it out, companions sneaking on with their lower number companions, line cutting, and a lack of enforcement for boarding order. I prefer to choose my seat beforehand. I know what I am doing, I know where I want to sit, and I know how to get it.

This is subjective, but I also find the experience of WN very very taxing. The whole camp-counselor chumminess schtick, while amusing to the average late middle aged white male AM radio listener, is simply cringy when you have to deal with it a few times a week. The cornball jokes, the stupid hold messages (remember WN Rap?) on their phones, the egalitarian bragging. I prefer an exclusive, NON egalitarian, mature attitude after flying so much. A bit of dignity.

I still fly WN but in very limted circumstances. The flight has to be under 2 hours, direct, and the only available option on the route. Even then I buy Biz Select and hold my nose.