FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:25 pm
Lani1

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by seat38a
My parents and I flew to ABQ this past weekend on Southwest Airlines since United had some terrible schedules into ABQ. This was the first time I've flown WN since they implemented the group + line number boarding system. I paid for Early Bird checkin and was assigned Group A 26, 27 and 28. I was quite amazed at how orderly the boarding process was. The only "cattle call" was on my last 4 United flights. Gate lice are not an issue since everyone has a line number.

Couple observations that United should copy.
1. Families board AFTER group A has boarded but before group B.
2. Medical pre boarding requires getting a pre board pass from the counter NOT just randomly joining the disabled pre boarding group.
3. Boarding group A 1-15 is reserved for WN's version of "Business Class" Business Select fare payers. All other elites via A List level get assigned AFTER the paid Business Select boards.
4. Maybe implement some sort of line numbering system to prevent gate lice and ENFORCE IT.

For all the ills people talk about WN's boarding system, I thought it was a REALLY fair system, that they actually enforced and also rewards those who paid the highest fares, and elites. Also, WN is able to do this with only one line. Group A gets in line then boards, then B, then C without the {mess} of the 5 line system of UA.
UAL could learn how to depart and arrive on time, SW seems to have that mastered